1. Understand the role and responsibilities of a First Aider
1.1 Identify the role and responsibilities of a First Aider
1.2 Identify how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
1.3 Identify the need for establishing consent to provide first aid
1.4 Identify the first aid equipment that should be available
1.5 Describe the safe use of first aid equipment
2. Be able to assess an incident.
2.1 Conduct a scene survey
2.2 Conduct a primary survey of a casualty
2.3 Give examples of when to call for help
3. Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is breathing normally.
3.1 Assess a casualty’s level of consciousness
3.2 Open a casualty’s airway and check breathing
3.3 Identify when to place an unconscious casualty into the recovery position
3.4 Place an unresponsive casualty in the recovery position
3.5 Manage a casualty who is in seizure
4. Be able to manage an unresponsive casualty who is not breathing normally.
4.1 Recognise the need to commence Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
4.2 Demonstrate Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation using a manikin
4.3 Identify the accepted modifications to Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for children
5. Be able to recognise and assist a casualty who is choking.
5.1 Describe how to identify a casualty with a:
• Partially blocked airway
• Completely blocked airway
5.2 Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking
6. Be able to manage a casualty with external bleeding.
6.1 Demonstrate how to control severe external bleeding
6.2 Control external bleeding
7. Be able to manage a casualty who is in shock.
7.1 Recognise shock
7.2 Administer first aid to a casualty who is in shock
8. Be able to manage a casualty with a minor injury.
8.1 Administer first aid to a casualty with small cuts, grazes and bruises
8.2 Administer first aid to a casualty with minor burns and scalds
8.3 Administer first aid to a casualty with small splinters